The department of Industrial and Materials Science at Chalmers University of Technology is recruting a doctoral student in the field of 2D materials and its composites, to execute projects concerning graphene and related materials. We are looking for a a highly motivated and independent candidate, with strong passion and good knowledge of chemistry, metals, or materials science. Being part of this collaborative project, you will be involved in a multidisciplinary chemical environment and working with international researchers.
This position is funded by EU projects (FLAG-ERA and Spearhead), with the following aims:
- Design and synthesis of novel molecules and polymers;
- Preparation of functionalized graphene/polymer composites for pressure sensor;
- Coating functionalized graphene on metals;
- In-depth structural characterization by advanced optical and electron microscopies;
- Mechanical property study of the 3D composite materials (i.e. strength, stiffness, and toughness).
FLAG-ERA is an ERA-NET (European Research Area Network) initiative that aims to create synergies between new research projects and the Graphene Flagship and Human Brain Project. The position aims at integrating functionalized graphene related 2D materials with polymer for pressure sensor. Besides integrating functionalized graphene with polymer, the functionalized graphene/metals composites will also be prepared and investigated. This research work emphasizes the international collaborations between several universities/institutes and companies in Europe. The main research activities will be conducted at Division of Materials and Manufacture with close collaboration with the researchers from Swedish companies. You will be part in different project groups and the work has an experimental focus.
Your major responsibilities as a PhD student is to pursue your doctoral studies within the framework of the outlined research project. The focus of your work will be mainly the preparation of graphene/polymer and graphene/metal composites for various applications. You are expected to develop your own idea and communicate scientific results orally as well as in written form in English. In addition, the position may include 20% departmental work, mostly in form of teaching duties.
Information about the division
The division of Materials and Manufacture is a part of the Department of Industrial and Materials Science. The division covers the entire value chain from materials design, processing and characterisation to machining of primarily metals. We employ a range of technologies – powder metallurgy, electroplating, additive manufacturing and material removal – and a range of advanced characterisation techniques. Our work is interdisciplinary by nature and is addressing topics that have a direct impact on sustainability. The division is collaborating closely with other universities and research institutes and is implementing industry-academia partnerships through collaborative projects and strategic initiatives such as the National Competence Centre for Additive Manufacturing – Metal (CAM2) and the Chalmers Centre for Metal Cutting Research (MCR)
Full-time temporary employment. The position is limited to a maximum of five years.
Mandatory experience and skills:
- A master's degree level background corresponding to at least 240 higher education credits in one of the following fields: materials science, polymer chemistry, metallic material engineering, or related disciplines.
- Good reading and writing skills in English. Chalmers offers Swedish courses.
- Basic knowledge about Graphene, polymer, or metals.
- Ability to prepare technical reports.
The following qualifications will be meritorious:
- Working experience in chemistry labs.
- Experience in preparation of graphene/polymer or graphene/metal composites.
- Ability to communicate in Swedish.
All the skills mentioned above have to be clearly indicated in the application and confirmed, if possible, by supplementary documentation (MSc thesis, journal papers, course certificates, reference letters, etc.)
Chalmers continuously strives to be an attractive employer. Equality and diversity are substantial foundations in all activities at Chalmers.
Our offer to you
Chalmers offers a cultivating and inspiring working environment in the dynamic city of Gothenburg.
Read more about working at Chalmers and our benefits for employees.
To apply, please go to:
Application deadline: 22 November, 2020