OBS! Ansökningsperioden för denna annonsen har
The University of Gothenburg tackles society’s challenges with diverse knowledge. 49 000 students and 6 400 employees make the university a large and inspiring place to work and study. Strong research and attractive study programmes attract scientists and students from around the world. With new knowledge and new perspectives, the University contributes to a better future.
At the Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences (BioEnv) we have teaching and research activities that stretch from the alpine ecosystem, through forests, cultivated land and streams, all the way into the marine environment. In these environments we study different levels of biological organisation from genes, individuals and populations, to communities and ecosystems. We work within ecology, evolution, physiology, systematics and combinations of these fields in order to understand the impact of natural and anthropogenic changes of the environment.
The department is placed at three different localities: in Gothenburg Botanical garden, at Medicinarberget in Gothenburg and Kristineberg Marine Research Station. The current position is placed at the Gothenburg Botanical Garden.
This project aims to adapt the newly developed Weighted Endemism including Global Endangerment index (WEGE) to include phylogenetic information and allow for region-specific ranking of Key Biodiversity Areas (KBAs) using different metrics. The project will be carried out at the Antonelli Lab in Gothenburg, in collaboration with researchers at the Gothenburg Global Biodiversity Centre and the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, in the UK.
This employment includes the following tasks: further development and testing of the WEGE formula to account for phylogenetic diversity; use existing trait data on plants and animals to calculate functional diversity spatially; rank KBAs using multiple available metrics; responsibility for managing own workload; production of scientific articles; effective communication across the team and beyond; among other assignments depending on the candidate’s skills and interests in relation to the project’s objectives.
Eligible to be employed as an assistant researcher is a person with a university degree on a basic or advanced level in biogeography, conservation biology, or related studies.
We are seeking a motivated person in subject with emphasis on conservation biology.
What is necessary/crucial for the employment:
• Master’s degree in biodiversity or related field
• Advanced experience in spatial analysis using R
• Experience with analyses of taxonomic, functional and/or phylogenetic diversity
• Excellent communication skills, written and spoken, in English are necessary since we work in an international environment.
What is advantageous:
• Advanced understanding of the IUCN assessment process
• Experience working on analyses of Key Biodiversity Areas
• Publication comprising global spatial analyses
• Familiarity with one or more taxonomic groups, relating to taxonomy and/or conservation
The application should preferably be written in English and must include:
• A cover letter with the applicant’s justification for the application, i.e., that describes how the applicant meets the selection criteria
• A list of qualifications (CV)
• Certificate of MSc, PhD exam or other educations of relevance
• Complete list of publications, including submitted and accepted manuscripts
• Employments certificates and other documents deemed important by the applicant
• Test task: Describe what you think is, in your view, the most appropriate way(s) of identifying priority areas for biodiversity conservation (max 300 words at the end of the cover letter, and to be discussed during the interview). Applications without this text will not be considered.
The top ranked candidates will be selected for an interview, which will be held digitally and in English.
This is a fixed-term employment for 12 months, 100 %, starting as soon as possible or upon agreement.
For further information and how to apply
In order to apply for a position at the University of Gothenburg, you have to register an account in our online recruitment system, apply. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the job advertisement, and that it is submitted before the deadline. The selection of candidates is made on the basis of the qualifications registered in the application.
In connection to this recruitment, we have already decided which recruitment channels we should use. We therefore decline further contact with vendors, recruitment and staffing companies.